It can be overwhelming to track down and organize the resources available to Veterans across the country. At Heroes for Healthcare, we’re working hard to organize them for you. Below, you’ll find national resources as well as Wisconsin-specific resources. If you want us to add additional resources for your state, contact us!
September was Suicide Prevention Month. If you need support, reach out to the crisis resources listed below, or explore the resources offered through the VA, specific to suicide awareness and prevention.
Vet to Vet Assistance
888.777.4443 or ONLINE
Help for veterans and their families who are enduring a crisis or who have a critical need for help.
Veterans Crisis Line ~ (800) 273-8255 (press 1). Connect with the Veterans Crisis Line to reach caring, qualified responders with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Many of them are Veterans themselves.
Military.com wrote this article that contains a variety of resources for Veterans: “Need Support? These Veterans Organizations are Offering Help During This Time of Stress.”
If you’re experiencing a mental health crisis, get help immediately at Stop Soldier Suicide
The National Veterans Foundation (NVF) has an extensive and inclusive list of benefits, resources, and information including VA links, housing, employment, health and social support.
Coaching into Care: ~ (888) 823-7458
Coaching Into Care is a free service for people who are concerned about the mental health of the Veterans in their lives. Licensed psychologists and social workers offer advice for starting the conversation with a Veteran about their mental health and motivating them to seek treatment if it’s needed.
Read this article for more information about the services they offer to Veterans.
Veteran Benefits in Wisconsin:
- Financial Tax Benefits
- Milwaukee VA Medical Center (Basic healthcare eligibility and correct place to bring/email 10-10EZ form)
- Tribal and County Veteran Service Officers of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA)
- Wisconsin’s Veteran Benefits Portal
- Wisconsin GI Bill
Veteran Resources in Wisconsin:
- Aurora Veteran Support Group (Virtual)
- Be There for Wisconsin Veterans! (Resource pages)
- Center for Suicide Awareness (Main)
- Center for Suicide Awareness Crisis Line: Text Hopeline to 741741
- Center for Veterans Issues (CVI)
- Center for Veterans Issues: Veteran Program Track at Aurora Behavioral Health
- County Veterans Service Officers of Wisconsin (Main page)
- County Veteran Service Officers of Wisconsin – Locate Your CVSO/TVSO
- R&R House from Mental Health America of Wisconsin
- Southeastern Central Wisconsin Task Force on Veteran Suicide Prevention
- Veterans Outreach and Recovery program flyer (VORP)
- Veteran Housing and Recovery program flyer (VHRP)
- Wisconsin Veterans Network (homepage)
- Wisconsin Veterans Network’s Podcast
COVID-19: Covid-19 has impacted the lives of many in 2020 and continues to do so in 2021 as the new Delta Variant spreads. Unfortunately, those struggling with substance abuse and mental health have increased by a staggering 40 percent according to the CDC. For that reason, ARK Behavioral Health created a resource page that shares valuable information for those seeking help while battling addiction and co-occurring conditions. On this page, you will find vital statistics and ways to receive help. In addition, they have included a supplement mental health guide to help people during Covid.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers resources on disability, pension, medical care, educational, housing/home loan, job training, Veteran Center counseling, memorials.
* Apply for miscellaneous benefits
*This guide offers VA loan information, including eligibility, document requirements, and how to apply. There is a listing of available grants and a state-by-state list of Veteran housing benefits.
- Captain John D. Mason Veteran Peer Outreach Program
- LinkedIn Premium subscription for the Military and Military spouses (FREE).
- Make the Connection’s Resources for Transitioning Military
- Mental Health of America (MHA)
- Mental Health Topics (through mentalhealth.va.gov)
- Military Discount Center (through Military.com) has a variety of discounts from companies that support the Military.
- Military-Transition.org has a wealth of services for Transitioning Military.
- Neighbor.com: Article for military families’ storage needs when they relocate.
- Tax services for the Military (FREE)
- Transition Resources at Military-Transition.org
- U.S. National Parks passes for current U.S. Military Members and their dependents (FREE).
- Vet Center Readjustment Counseling – Call Center for combat Veterans: (877)WAR-VETS (927-8387)
Bankrate experts created a comprehensive guide that outlines how military members can take advantage of the insurance rates and discounts available to them for different aspects of their life including life, home, and auto insurance. They also include information for how this could impact active duty, deployed members, and veterans.